Saturday, April 25, 2009

Summer of Code is Back

Google Summer of Code 2009, the annual open source feast organized by the Internet giant Google is now underway. I also applied for the contest and I'm pleased to announce that my project proposal to implement SQL authorization support for Apache Derby dblook has been accepted. So that makes me a GSoC winner, two times in a row. Last year I implemented XML Schema 1.1 type alternatives support for Apache Xerces2/J under the guidance of Khaled Noaman. This year Dag Wanvik will be mentoring my project. 

I'm eagerly looking forward to complete this task in time and of course in classy fashion. Apache Derby community is really active, dynamic and supportive. I feel gifted to get an opportunity to work with such a passionate group of committers. And not to mention this is going to be a great learning experience as well as a genuine test of skill for me.

On the sad side, this will probably be the last GSoC I'm going to take part as a student of the University of Moratuwa. I will be officially passing out from the University in a couple of months time. University of Moratuwa became the no. 1 ranked institute in last year's GSoC which made us really happy and proud of ourselves. I'm confident that my University has ranked pretty high this year too (Google haven't released the numbers as of yet). So that means this is the last time I get to enjoy being on top of the world in GSoC :(